From panini to kebabs and salads to desserts, vegan grilling is a great way to celebrate the bounty of the summer season, sans meat.
Veggie burgers score high for grill marks and flavor. Plant-based sausages, loaded with toppings like organic ketchup or garlicky kimchi, tastily replace traditional beef and pork hot dogs. And tofu or portobello mushrooms, topped with grilled onions and red peppers, stand in perfectly for beef steaks.
Grilled mains beyond meat
Panini, or pressed, grilled sandwiches, make great alternatives to traditional burgers. Vegan-friendly breads, like sourdough or ciabatta, work well for panini. Simply coat the top and bottom of each slice with olive or avocado oil to ensure flavorful grill marks. Press the sandwich onto the heated grill as it cooks (you can use a sandwich press, even a brick covered in foil works well).
Try fillings like sun-dried tomatoes, diced red onions and baby spinach, or maybe fresh, halved cherry tomatoes and bell peppers, with fresh herbs, like basil, mint and oregano tossed in lemon juice and olive oil. Plant-based cheeses melt well, too, and add cheesy goodness.
Kebabs or skewers are a great way to grill vegetables (fruits, too, for dessert!), which can then be stuffed into vegan-friendly pita bread pockets, piled onto your plant-based burgers, or enjoyed with couscous. Marinate zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, red onions and bell peppers in olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, adding chili flakes or herbs for extra oomph. You can warm the pitas on the grill, too.
Also try grilling our Artisan Chef Greg’s recipe for Red Lentil Veggie Burgers – a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional hamburgers, spiced with cumin, paprika, garlic, curry powder, turmeric and more.
Vegan sides dishes for the barbecue table
The following recipes for vegan sides, including dessert and beverage options, come from Chef Greg and our local food and beverage makers:
- Grilled Summer Vegetable Caponata: Vegans can simply omit the cubed feta cheese for this grilled veggie medley.
- Grilled Three Potato Salad: Features a grilled trio of sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes and red potatoes, tossed in a warm Dijon mustard dressing; just omit the chopped bacon in the dressing.
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Bowl: To make this side dish vegan, substitute ghee with olive oil, and omit the feta.
- Summer Guacamole: What’s a barbecue without vegan chips dipped in guacamole? This dip accompanies a recipe for Chicken Fajitas, which is easily made vegan by omitting chicken and sour cream, and substituting tortillas with vegan wraps.
- Sweet Potato Fries: These fries are quick and easy and made simply with olive oil, fresh thyme and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Beet, Orange and Olive Salad: MOC partner Durant Olive Mill shares this juicy and earthy salad that calls for an orange apéritif vinegar.
- Roasted Strawberry, Balsamic and Coconut Milk Pops: Popsicles are a quintessential warm-weather dessert. Use coconut milk and maple syrup to create a richly vegan iced treat.
- Hibisbloom Sangria: MOC partner Hibisbloom, makers of Hibiscus Cocktail & Soda Mixer, shares a recipe for Sangria. Chill for an hour before serving.
Stop by your Market to see what’s new and vegan-friendly in our Kitchen, as well. Throughout each Market, you’ll discover abundant vegan choices and ingredients to help make your next grilling adventure a delicious, plant-based success.
Other vegan grilling resources
Eugene Veg Education Network
Healthy Happy Life, Vegan Grilling Guide
We Love Fire, Vegan Grilling