BNF’s Blueberry Kombucha Cake with Roasted Blueberries
Recipe from BNF KOMBUCHA & JUN
From the folks at BNF Kombucha & Jun (aka A Billion New Friends), comes this vegan recipe for mouthwatering blueberry kombucha cake with roasted blueberries. Founded in Eugene, Oregon, BNF uses local ingredients to craft its probiotic-rich, small-batch drinks in a variety of fantastic flavors. For this recipe, grab a bottle of BFN’s Oregon Blueberry Kombucha from the chilled section of your Market, as well as non-dairy milk, plant-based butter and a pint of locally grown blueberries, and you’ll be on your way to cake bliss.
1 btl BNF’S Oregon Blueberry Kombucha
1-1/2 c non-dairy milk
2 t lemon juice
2 c sugar
2/3 c avocado oil, or other neutral oil of your choosing
4 T of oil to grease pans
4 t vanilla extract
4 c all-purpose flour
6 T potato starch
1-1/2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 c fresh blueberries, puréed
1-1/2 c vegan butter
4-4 1/2 c powdered sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1/8 c non-dairy milk
2 c fresh blueberries
2 t organic cane sugar
To roast the blueberries:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place blueberries in an oven-safe dish in a single layer and sprinkle with sugar. Roast in oven 10 min, until juices have been released. Let cool.
To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, incorporate kombucha, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, oil, vanilla and sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Then, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir until well combined, so that there are no flour clumps.
4. Grease four 9-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Divide batter evenly. Smack the bottom of the cake pans against the countertop a few times to release any air bubbles for an evenly cooked cake top. Bake 15-18 min. Cool completely before frosting.
1. Pulse blueberries in a food processor to the texture of liking. Leave chunky, if desired.
2. In a stand mixer bowl, cream butter or butter and shortening mixture until fluffy. Add vanilla, powdered sugar and blueberry purée. Beat until well combined, stream in milk, if needed, for desired consistency.
1. Assemble the cake by placing a cake layer on a plate or stand, then drizzle the blueberry juice, spread a good layer of frosting (be sure to create a little dam so the next layer doesn’t spill out the sides.), then sprinkling the roasted blueberries. Repeat with other layers. Enjoy!
Find out more about BNF Kombucha & Jun, here.