Here, at Market of Choice, we pride ourselves on providing the freshest seasonal produce. Summer’s bounty is no exception. Deeply rooted relationships with Oregon farmers and our ongoing Dig Local partnerships make it possible for our customers to take home the highest quality, locally grown, and organically grown produce available.
According to the Oregon Farm Bureau, Oregon ranks sixth in the United States for farming acreage that’s certified organic, at a whopping 195,000 acres. Now is the time to enjoy the bounty of Oregon growers’ summertime harvests.
What follows approximates what customers can expect to see in our stores this season and when. Just look for the “organic” tags, and don’t hesitate to ask our produce managers and clerks about your favorites.
Oregon-grown fruits, the most natural of sweets
From berries to melons all the way to late-season apples and pears, Oregon produces some of the finest summer fruits, their flavors synonymous with the season. Whether you’re in the mood for spooning fresh organic berries on top of ice cream or enjoying juicy slices of watermelon, don’t miss out on the many natural sweets that local growers bring to your Market.
- Strawberries: mid-May through September
- Cherries, apricots: mid-June through July
- Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries: mid-June through September
- Boysenberries and marionberries: July
- Peaches: mid-July through August
- Melons/watermelons, Asian pears, plums: August through September
- Apples, pears: August through December
Oregon-grown veggies, delicious to savor
Fresh vegetables grilled on the barbecue or fresh-cut vegetables and herbs tossed into a summer salad—these are just some of the ways to savor the vegetable bounty filling the produce aisles at your Market.
- Lettuce: April through November
- Turnips, peas: May through July
- Garlic: May through August
- Scallions, Swiss chard: May through November
- Basil: June through August
- Beans (bush and pole): June through October
- Broccoli, carrots, kohlrabi, herbs: June through November
- Peppers, potatoes, summer squash, corn, cucumbers: July through September
- Tomatoes: July through October
- Collards: July through November
- Cabbage: July through February
- Artichokes: August
- Leeks, onions (fall crops): August through November
- Pumpkins, radishes, cauliflower, spinach: September through November
Of course, specialty produce items are also available at various times of year, so be sure to ask a member of your Market produce team for direction should you not find a specific fruit or vegetable.
Recipes showcasing summer fruits and vegetables
Should you need ideas for how to prepare these many locally grown produce items, check out our many summer recipes available online. Here is just a sampling:
We hope you enjoy the abundance of Oregon’s summer produce. Purchase your favorites as soon as they are available—the summer season will be over before we know it!
Oregon Tilth Planting and Harvest Calendar
Willamette Farm and Food Coalition, Locally Grown Guide
Oregon Farm Bureau facts about Oregon agriculture
Oregon State University Extension Service, Vegetable Gardening in Oregon