Our commitment to animal welfare
For more than 40 years, Market of Choice has worked closely with our supplier partners to ensure we are able to bring the best choices to market. As we’ve grown, it has always been important to us that our procurement practices and policies related to our suppliers reflect our own high standards for responsible business practices. This includes our commitment to the humane treatment, welfare, and respect of animals.
Specific to animal proteins, our priority is to support local suppliers who meet our high standards for animal welfare. If we are unable to find appropriate local partners, we look outside the state of Oregon to identify those who demonstrate and adhere to the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare, which include:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst, by ensuring animals have access to fresh water and are provided a diet that maintains health and vigor.
- Freedom from discomfort, by granting access to shelter and a temperature-controlled environment where animals can be comfortable and protected from inclement weather.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease and are monitored by on-site veterinary staff that can provide rapid diagnosis and treatment when necessary.
- Freedom to express normal behavior, by providing sufficient space and adequate facilities, as well as the opportunity to socialize with the animal’s own species.
- Freedom from fear and distress, by providing a safe environment that does not cause mental suffering.
Market of Choice promises to continually evaluate our policies and practices based on the latest research and information. While we recognize welfare practices are evolving as the industry makes changes to improve animal husbandry, we also acknowledge our role and responsibility to work closely with our partners to ensure the choices we carry meet our objectives.
Our Supplier Standards
We’ve selected some of the best suppliers in the industry to provide our stores with animal proteins. These partners align with our procurement standards and are members of leading industry groups that encourage proper animal welfare practices. Below are some examples of our key partners, along with links to their animal welfare policies and standards.