Just as home gardeners are reaping what they sowed, produce shoppers at Market of Choice can enjoy the bounty of fall with fresh tomatoes, squash, carrots, peppers, potatoes, garlic and much more.
A great way to enjoy this colorful cache of vegetables and fresh herbs is with a hearty soup or stew to warm up cool fall days. We have all the ingredients you’ll need to simmer and serve a pot of savory goodness for you and your loved ones.
One tip is to roast some fresh garden tomatoes, which go great in soups and chilis. Simply cut them to whatever size you’d like, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt, then roast until soft. They’re ready to go directly into the pot — or use them to make sauces. Roasted tomatoes can also be frozen to use later.
Here are some hearty harvest recipes to try, created by our own Market of Choice Chefs. For more, see our searchable, easy-to-use recipe section.
- Cowboy Crazy Beans with Brisket and Sausage: A versatile, satisfying dish for fall and football get-togethers. Switch up bean and sausage varieties for endless combinations. Includes corn, green onion, chiles and a wealth of other hearty ingredients. Especially good served with our Market Bakery cornbread! You can make this recipe gluten-free friendly by using gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
- Shrimp and Tomato Paella: This simplified but full-flavored version of Spanish paella requires only one pan and can be enjoyed on the deck or patio. Uses roasted tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic and parsley.
- Northwest Cioppino: A form of the flavorful Italian-American seafood stew with a focus on local ingredients. Best served with toasted artisan bread; otherwise it’s keto-friendly and calls for green bell peppers, diced tomatoes, basil and parsley.
- Irish Seafood Chowder: An adaptable and delicious recipe that offers a taste of Ireland. Smoked fish is essential to create a savory blend with corn, potatoes, parsley, chives and garlic. It’s best served fresh and enjoyed with Irish soda bread. The chowder can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
- Bavarian Pork, Vegetable and Ale Stew: Fill your home with the aroma of this rich Bavarian stew as it slow cooks, melding meat and veggies with a savory broth, featuring cabbage, onions, cloves and thyme. To make this recipe gluten-free friendly, use gluten-free flour and beer.
- Vietnamese Pho with Chicken Meatballs: This version of the healthy, quick and delicious traditional dish includes a flavorful twist with Vietnamese Chicken Meatballs. Calls for carrots, green onions, basil, cilantro and mint.
- Sage and Maple-Glazed Root Vegetables: Though not a soup or stew, this Paleo-friendly vegetarian dish of roasted root vegetables is a hearty combination that might very well steal the spotlight at your table. Includes sage and unsung heroes of the vegetable world — sweet golden and chiogga beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots, aromatic fennel and earthy celeriac.