Jim Colby, Willamette Wine Steward, has a simple life philosophy, “I surround myself with good wine and good people.” From customers to wine producers, Jim spends his days celebrating all that is wine. Readers can find his opinionated take on wine, beer and coffee here.
Southern Rhone Valley, Chateauneuf du Pape 2012
Part the First
2012: “Surpassing 2011 and producing rich, fruit-loaded and moderately concentrated wines, 2012 was a sunny, dry vintage that should slot in beside, or slightly behind, 2009, in terms of quality. Coming closest, in my mind, to a lighter styled 2010, the wines possess pretty, dark fruit and mineral-styled aromatics, medium to full-bodied richness and good, not great, concentration. The majority of these will be approachable on release, yet have graceful aging curves as well, with the top releases having 15-20 years of evolution. Alcohol levels are down, and the wines have good to moderate acidity with fine, polished tannins and overall approachable profiles. While a number of vignerons reported that the 2012s were hard to taste early on (and I found a number seemingly closed and aggressively tannic), they are increasingly liking how they're showing with additional time in tank and barrel. If the wines continue to gain mid-palate depth (and I think the best will), this could turn out to be a strong vintage. While Grenache fared well, it was a difficult vintage for Mourvèdre due to lack of water. While not a flat-out great vintage for reds, it is a great vintage for the whites. Showing beautiful purity, they're fresher than the 2011s, and while they lack the deep, concentrated richness of the top 2010s, they will deliver immense pleasure over the coming 2-3 years.” – Jeff Dunnuck in the Wine Advocate Oct 31, 2013
• Domaine La Consonnier Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2012 47.99/750ml. 90-92pts WA
• Le Cote de l’Ange 2012 Chateauneuf-du-Pape 49.99/750ml. 91pts WS.
• Domaine Lafond 2012 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Roc Epine 49.99/750ml. 91-94pts WA.
• Domaine Hillaire 2012 Chateauneuf-du-Pape 54.99/750ml. 93-95pts WA.
• Tour Saint-Michel La Tour du Lion 2012 Chateauneuf-du-Pape 64.99/750ml. 91-93pts.WA
• Chateau Sixtine 2012 Chateauneuf-du-Pape 69.99/750ml. 91pts WS, 91-94pts WA
• Marcarini Barolo Brunate 2010 57.29/750ml. 91pts WA.
• Fontodi Chianti Classico 2010 43.99/750ml. 92pts WA. Good to see this in the market again.
• Kistler Chardonnay 2011 McCrea Vineyard 77.99/750ml. 91pts WS, 93pts WA.
• Kistler Chardonnay 2011 Vine Hill 55.79/375ml. 91pts WS, 95pts WA.
These are not all on the shelf. I, or one of my trained staff members, will be happy to assist you in purchasing any of these wines; simply ask us about them.
• Domaine Graveirette Cotes du Rhone 2012 100% Grenache. Lovely concentrated fruit with length and breadth. 15.29/750ml.
• Chateau de Fontenille Entre-Deux-Mers 2013: 40% Sauvignon Blanc, 20% Sauvignon Gris, 20% Muscadelle and 20% Semillon. Limpid, green-gold. Lively with citrus and creaminess in the mouth. 13.99/750ml.
• Planeta La Segreta Sicilia Blanco 2013. 50% Grecanico, 30% Chardonnay, 10% Viognier, 10% Fiano. Vines are wholly owned by Planeta and planted on mixed yellow and dark clay with fine limestone soil in Menfi. Vinification and aging in stainless. 89pts WS. 9.99/750ml.
• O’Reilly’s Pinot Noir 2013 Oregon, from Owen Roe. Sourced from Anna’s Vyd, Chehalem Mtn AVA, Merrimam Vyd. Yamhill/Carlton, and Lenne Vyd. Yamhill/Carlton. Very pretty cherry/raspberry nose with abundant fruit in the mouth. Medium length. 16.99/750ml.
|Page 1 of 25|